I have served this dip many times to non-vegans, who are always very surprised to hear that it’s made out of chickpeas and not tuna! The chickpeas give the tuna-like texture and the seaweed the tuna taste, making it a perfect copy of tuna dip, minus all of the unhealthy ingredients. Being based on legumes (i.e. the chickpeas and tofu), this dip is packed full of nutrients- soluble fibre, iron and folate just to name a few. Population studies from around the world are continuously showing us that those eating more beans have a lower incidence of disease and longer life expectancy. But we’ll go into the benefits of beans in more detail in a future blog! Here’s the recipe:
Chickpea ‘Tuna’ Dip
Makes approximately 4 cups
Takes 30 minutes
- 3 cups cooked chickpeas (2 x 400g cans, rinsed and drained)
- 1/2 cup finely chopped celery
- 1/4 cup finely chopped pickles
- 3 tbs finely chopped red onion
- 2 tbs cup finely chopped parsley
- 2 nori seaweed sheets
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- Salt, to taste (optional)
- 1/2 cup vegan mayo
- 300g silken tofu, drained
- 2 tbs sunflower seeds
- 2 tbs tahini
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- ½ tsp minced garlic clove
- ½ tsp salt
- Use a fork to mash the chickpeas enough to each one up or if you have a food processor, process chickpeas until roughly mashed.
- Grind up the seaweed sheets to a powder by tearing them into small pieces and adding them to a blender or coffee grinder and processing until they resemble a flaky to powdery consistency.
- Add the finely chopped ingredients and ground seaweed, salt and pepper to the chickpeas and combine well.
- To make the mayo, add all ingredients to a blender or food processor and process on the highest speed until smooth (if you have a low-powered blender you may need to soak the sunflower seeds first to soften them up and allow for easier blending).
- Add the mayo to the chickpeas and combine well.
Serve as a dip with vegetable sticks, toasted tortilla pieces or wholegrain crackers. You could also eat it in a wholegrain sandwich or wrap with lettuce, cucumber, tomato and mustard.