Porridge is such a comforting breakfast. So is apple pie. This recipe combines both of these. It’s got a hefty dose of antioxidant-rich spices (gram-for-gram, clove is one of the most potent sources of antioxidants!). There’s lots of soluble fibre from the apple, oats and flaxseeds. The flaxseeds also provide omega-3 fat. It’s perfect for a cold winter morning!
Apple Spiced Porridge
Takes 15 minutes
- 3/4 cup rolled oats
- 1 1/2 cups soy milk (or other calcium-fortified plant milk)
- 1 fresh medjool date, chopped (chop it with a wet knife and hands to avoid it from sticking)
- 1 tbs raisins
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- Pinch nutmeg
- Pinch allspice
- 1 apple, finely grated
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tbs ground flaxseed
- In a saucepan over high heat, add the oats, milk, date and sultanas and bring to a boil.
- Stir, turn heat to medium and add in the spices. Continue stirring for 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in the grated apple, lemon juice and flaxseed.
- Optional: Serve topped with apple slices, nuts (walnuts and pecans go well with it), pepitas and cinnamon.